Search

Hi, guest ! welcome to CineClouds.com. | About Us | Contact | Register | Sign In

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Lingusamy talks about Vettai


It's been 11 years since his debut, the superhit multi-starrer Aanandam. After a tryst with romance, action and even a road movie, director N. Lingusamy returns with Vettai, starring Madhavan, Arya, Sameera Reddy and Amala Paul. The film releases on January 14. “I wanted Maddy to essay the cop, and considered Vijay for the other character. Eventually, Arya stepped into that one. When I signed them on, I never knew the two had a mutual admiration society going. That chemistry shines on screen,” says Lingusamy. The same holds true for Sameera and Amala, who rock as sisters, he says.


Vettai is Lingusamy's seventh film. Since the director is known for showcasing actors in a new avatar (chocolate-hero Maddy turned action star with Run; rustic raja Karthi turned suave in Paiyaa), what does this film have in store for them? “Arya's been choosing his roles wisely. Vettai will see him make a mark as an action hero. He's been waiting for an ‘action' film for long.” Also, Madhavan shows his comic side, city slicker Sameera plays village belle and a demure Amala turns glamorous.


All the actors have been talking about what a scream the shooting was. “I learnt from Mammooty Sir. During Aanandham, he wanted the cast to stay together so that the warmth would get translated onto the screen. Luckily, during Vettai, we got to stay together at The Bangla, in Karaikudi. It was great fun. I like everybody to be happy on the sets. That's when actors can deliver their best. Shooting is fraught with tension, so I plan ahead. We rehearse and then chill out. There's more camaraderie and involvement. Deep inside, I'm tense. But, why show it?”


The candid director accepts failure with a smile. “Even during shooting, you know if things are working out or not. But, you cheat yourself and continue working. However, you redeem yourself by working harder on your next film.”


He speaks fondly about Bheema, the Vikram-starrer. “A beautiful film. I had doubts about the tragic climax. It was a risk that backfired. But thanks to that film, I realised I had a fan following and that people expected a certain kind of film from me. All those lessons have been put to use in Vettai. I'll learn from this too,” he laughs.


Music has always been a highlight in Lingusamy's flicks — Aanandam, Run, Ji, Sandakozhi, Bheema, Paiyaaand, now, Vettai. “I am basically a lyricist. Good lyrics decide the success of a song. I then sit with the music director. It helps that I have an ear for music!”


Kumbakonam to Kodambakkam — did he imagine he'd come this far? “I never doubted I'd make it. There was struggle and poverty, but I'd tell my friends that I would narrate all this to my interviewers someday.”


Over the years, the director has worked at a steady pace. “I'm happy doing one film a year. I plan a film, but wait for the opportune moment to start it.” His films are aesthetic too. “The setting is so important. Bharathan Sir is a huge inspiration. A film must have a great story, but also be visually appealing,” he says.


Lingusamy's also a producer, having made Deepavali, Pattalam, Paiyaa and Vettai (along with UTV Motion Pictures) under the Thirupathi Brothers banner, with sibling Chandrabose. He's also producing Balaji Sakthivel's Vazhakku Enn 18/9. How does he strike a balance between production and direction? “Never had to. I have never been extravagant just because someone else was the producer. At the same time, I've stood by what I felt is necessary for a film.” Why Thirupathi Brothers? “Ah! That's the name of our maligai kadai back home!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment